View Single Post
Old 12-20-05, 05:00 PM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hungry After Gym Workouts

I need some help with a phenomenon that seem to always sabotage my exercise programs. I go to the gym about four times a week, although I sometimes have problem mustering up the energy to go at the end of a long day, I have never had a bad workout in my life. Once I can get to the gym, I can always turn it on and have a fantastic workout. A huge problem for me though is that I always come back very hungry, and then proceed to eat as if I had not eaten dinner before my exercise at the gym. I would like to stop this. I have just started using a heart rate monitor so as not to overwork myself, as I thought the heavy intensity of my workouts might be the reason for my heavy post-workout meals, but the phenomenon has not stopped. I also started drinking some diluted Gatorade (50-50 water and Gatorade) during and after my workouts, but no help there.

If it helps, my program consists of a hard 30minutes on the Life Fitness exercycle at a range of around 85% to 95% of my maximum heart rate, and then another 30minutes on a stair climber elliptical at around the same heart rate. I then finish with about 100 crunches and 60 leg lifts. About two times a week, I add a quick 45minutes of weight training to the aerobics program by concetrating on the big muscles. I really like my program, but is there anything I can do to not come back from the gym hungry and thus eating all that is not "nailed down"?

Are there post-workout drinks or nutrients, apart from Gatorade that I should try?

Thanks for your response.

Regards