Thread: Wheel help
View Single Post
Old 04-08-17, 06:38 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
I had the Archetypes laced to Velo Orange high flange hubs and when both wheels were handed to me I stopped to look - I thought something was missing (they were unexpectedly light). Seriously!... The Archetypes seem faster, lighter, effortless to get up to speed fast. It's a specific feeling. They're laced with butted Sapim Race spokes so that makes an agile feeling.
The point being, light wheel/tire combinations DO feel faster. If you (generic) aren't racing the seconds gained on an acceleration don't matter but the fun factor sure does.

Of course it depends on the intended use of the bike. TDK, think about why you'd ride this bike over some other one. If you want zippy, go lighter. If you commute or like comfort or ride rougher roads or gravel/dirt trails pretty often, go wider and heavier. Just my opinion.