Old 12-21-05, 12:33 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
I have not cycled for two days and it is killing me! We have had some good snow/rain/sleet/fog storms over the past couple of days. While this might be the norm for most northern cities, it only happens a few times/year in Boise, so the drivers are all over the place (including off the road). I am committed to riding through the winter, but I don't think these clowns can/will see me, let alone look for me. It is not an issue of being a tough guy, I am literally scared for my safety out there.

How do the rest of you deal with slick roads/poor visibility (not dark) and the threat of being run over/slid into?
I won't cycle in blowing snow or white out conditions, and I would avoid fog if it was a significant issue around here.

A lot of the time I find that the cars are staying in a very narrow path where traffic has melted the snow away leaving bare pavement. When this happens I find that I can ride in the snowy section next to the bare pavement with very little trouble. Motorists are extremely careful to keep their tires on bare pavement in these conditions, so just staying in the snow to the right of the bare pavement keeps me safe. Sometimes I'll move into the bare pavement stripe to pick up a little speed, then veer back into the snowed over area to let cars by.

I'm very fortunate that local motorists are quite considerate of bicyclists, I only wish the tourists were as considerate.