View Single Post
Old 04-09-17, 05:35 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
No it's not. Not on KMC at least. It's a rust prevention coating, similar to what is found on bare metal or new tools. It's sticky like hell. I cleaned mine last year using biodegradable degreaser in my chain cleaner.
Yes, it is.

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
SRAM: GLEITMO™ — biking's best chain lubricant — coats chain for superior protection against friction and dirt.
https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...s/pc-890-chain

Gleitmo comes in a variety of types: https://www.fuchs.com/us/en/brands/a-k/gleitmo/
The lubrication that bicycle chain manufacturers use is probably a proprietary mixture but Fuchs sells a spray lubricant called Gleitmo 582 for bicycle chains. It is described as

... a white, adhesive semi-synthetic grease with solid lubricants
The "solid lubricant" above is likely a soft wax which is just like oils but with a higher molecular weight and longer molecular chain. It is nothing like the "oils" that most people use and more closely related to "wax" lubricants that most people abhor.

It is "okay" in my experience but it tends to collect dirt and grit. It will end up as black and nasty as a heavily oiled chain.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Whether or not any one new chain has a rust inhibitor or a lube when unpackaged is some of the question. Is this the type of lube one likes on their cogs and rings, is the rest. As most chain lube choices are preference I see no issue with stripping off the factory stuff and using what one has learned works for them. Andy.
Exactly. It makes little to no difference.

Because I don't like the resulting black and nasty chain that results from leaving the factory lubricant on, I strip it off before I install the chain and use much cleaner wax based lubricants. It makes little to no difference on length of chain wear. I get about 3000 miles before the chain starts to show 0.75 to 1.0% wear and the chain needs to be changed to avoid wearing other drivetrain parts.

And, yes, I know that there are people out there who will declare that their secret sauce method of chain care gives them 100,000 mile of use out of their chains, us normal mortals get about 3000 miles. The difference between what I do and what someone else does probably doesn't matter with the exception that I don't have to constantly wipe my chain to keep it clean.

And, before someone from a wetter area chimes in, I have used wax based lubricants in every state in the US except Florida, Alaska and North Dakota. I've even used it is some bits of Canada and I've certainly used it in the rain. It doesn't melt off and it doesn't perform any differently than an oil based lubricant would.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!