View Single Post
Old 04-10-17, 10:33 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
the deore hub info is there, and it does not list the dx as being compatible. however, the dx hub is not even listed on the page of pdf's. FHM590 = deore FHM650 = deore dx. but, now i see what you're talking about in regards to parts and possible incompatibilities, though.

i'll poke around the web and see if i can find any tech docs on the dx. ultimately, i may just have to leave the hubs alone, make my 8spd cassette a 7spd...dropping the 11t...and regear the crank. but, since i'm still too curious to give up, i will probably go ahead take'em apart and see anyway despite not having a definitive from the outset. hmm...didn't really want to do it that way, but oh well. if it doesn't work out, i'm not gonna try and make it work, so to speak.

oh!...when i was out gathering model no.'s, i noticed there's a fair amount of the right hand lock nut unit sticking out past the cassette on the dx freehub. maybe 5mm's or more? certainly more than on the 8spd hub and cassette. the cassette's almost flush with the hex on that. so, i'm wondering if perhaps someone had an 8spd hub on there and swapped it to a 7spd before selling it to me. i got'em on ebay a while back.

anyway....thanks, again!