View Single Post
Old 04-10-17, 11:11 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
At 69, I like to ride hills. Maximum climbing? I don't know. Seven years ago I pedaled up 15,000 feet in a day. Two years ago I biked up to the top of Haleakala, on the Hawaiian island of Maui: 10,000 of climbing in one, long go.

I live a few miles from steep hills north and south of my mid-town Los Angeles home, where plenty of roads boast a 14% grade and some are higher. I've pedaled up 3,000 feet in those hills in a few hours many, many times after I turned 50.

So far this year I've ridden almost 68,000 feet. I've ridden as much as 10,000+ feet in a week this year, too, and well under 500 in a week.

I don't think many cyclists my age - or a lot younger - can match me. On the other hand, I'm not particularly special, as there are plenty of cyclists older than 50 who climb much more than I do.

How much can you expect to elevate yourself? I'd say the sky's the limit. ;-)

That's me, above, approaching the top of Mt. Lee and the iconic Hollywood Sign, last month.

Last edited by icyclist; 04-10-17 at 11:20 PM.