J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Can you explain this, along with how old you are? I cannot see how riding a single speed is any different from the fixed gear in terms of having the same gear... you have to go up the same hills in the same gear, and get going from a standing start the same.

If you are referring to braking with your legs, I've never done it because my fixies have had brakes from and rear. And if you are talking downhill, just use the brakes to feather the speed so you can cope with the cadence.

I also will let you into a little secret... there is a sort of "perpetual motion" thing that happens with fixed gears that doesn't happen with a single speed. It makes standing to pedal uphills easier than you would think.

And yes, I speak from experience having toured on fixed gear and done a Century a Month series with one.
Thank you for your candor, Rowan. I'm almost 59. I'll admit that I've never ridden a fixed gear, and now I suppose the right thing for me to do would be to try one. Its rather like saying that you don't like spinach, when you've never even tried it. Verdict: Guilty. I'll try a fixie when I get the opportunity.