Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Actually a steady climb at 8 to 10 mph with a slope of about 8% is just about ideal for maximizing climbing totals. A climb steeper than 8% reduces cadence to a non optimal rate and a faster pace introduces air resistance that consumes energy. Certainly, higher elevation introduces other issues, depending on conditioning.
I logged my highest VAM on the Mount Ventoux with its infamous 4 mile 10% grade average in the middle of the climb. When I did it, the Tour de France had raced it the day before and Froome won the stage and I believe he did the climb in about an hour that means he averaged 12.6 mph on the climb. Froome is a great grand tour rider because he can TT and climb.

I did Ventoux in 2 hours at a VAM of 900. I used a 50/34 12/30 cassette. I could have used a 34t rear cog for the steeper section since it is not 10% constant grade but changes from 8% to 12% and steeper on switchbacks but I just stood on the harder sections.

I am not a great climber per se and at hill climb races bump along the bottom of the peloton when the real hill climbers show up to race.