View Single Post
Old 04-17-17, 02:58 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You're not finding the right rides. In most decent sized communities you'll find group rides all the way from absolute hammer fests to purely social, with numerous gradations in between.

Here for example the local club has A, B, C, S rides.

S is purely social no drop.

C is appropriate for riders new to groups, and/or people that aren't terribly fit or just don't want to go real fast.

B is appropriate for generally fit recreational cyclists

A is appropriate for very fit recreational cyclists.

Then there's a whole nother level of rides by the local racing group.

The Racing club's B rides are very fast, but cooperative, and are appropriate for strong riders, who might find the Recreational Club's A rides too slow.

The Racing club's A rides are essentially training races and if they aren't fast enough for you, consider a Pro License.

Thus, its pretty easy to find a ride that is literally your speed.
OK, well how bout a little help with terminology...what type of, or name, or A/B/C/Q, etc, ride should I be looking for that would be challenging but not make me want to kill myself?

When I go for solo rides, I typically do 35-45 miles, cruise at ~18mph on flats with no wind, with fenders/shorts/t shirt/sandals. Anything faster than that and I fear my joints won't hold up very well...I've got some knee issues that like to crop up when I push too far/fast/soon.