Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler

Is there an agreed speed/width curve for different surfaces which would indicate the optimal tire width for a given surface?
No, opinions are all over the map on this.

My interest is whether my daily commuting bikes (on 32mm Bontrager H5, but measure 1.0-1.5mm less) would be noticeably improved by a slightly thinner or more supple tire. I should add that my road surfaces are sometimes poor, with manhole covers, cracked paving and ocassional leaves / twigs etc.
In my experience, more supple tires make a really big improvement is speed and comfort. They are smoother and faster and any pressure, but more noticeably so as you lower the pressure. They allow lower pressures without as much rolling resistance penalty as thicker tires.

But it really depends on what you are riding through as to whether they are suitable. I run very supple tires (Compass Stampede Pass 32mm for a year and now Bon Jon Pass 35mm, both super light casing) and I have had no issues with tears or punctures. They are fine on rough pavement and gravel, but I imagine that sharp rocks or such would be a problem. But it has not been for me.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-23-17 at 11:26 AM.