echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Try officiating - soccer is good.
well, there are all sorts of stories of how parents or adult rec league players go after referees. Just imagine making an incorrect offside call and getting an earful
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Turn that AC up. I will ride outside on the weekends once school is over and I have my weekends back. For now though, it's weekday evenings, when we're running the AC anyways.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Chappy, I ride in the garage with two fans. On really hot days, I often put an ice pack on my back.

I tried a portable A/C unit. It took too long to get the garage cool, plus I didn't have good ventilation, so it was giving off heat as it was trying to cool.
looks like more fans it is. I bought one of those plastic Lasko Cyclone fans a while back. Worked great in the winter, but impossible to clean. I wonder how much mold has built up in the last 7 years. When i move again i'll def be getting two ginormous box fans and possibly an ice vest.
Originally Posted by Doge
I noticed a correlation between those that can do the trainer and lap swimmers.
well, i can do trainer as long as i can stay cool. There was a 7-week stretch this winter when i didn't ride outside a single time. That was slightly bunkers though.

Originally Posted by mike868y
i know baltimore isn't really the south but the one summer i spent there i actually rode the trainer a lot because my basement was significantly cooler than outside where the heat was simply oppressive.
Baltimore is almost like DC, and DC is damned oppressive. Near impossible to ride last summer from mid-July until early September. Some guy suffered a heat stroke at one of the road races, just brutal.

But despite all that, and all my complaining to my coach about how Hains Point isn't conducive to long intervals on the TT bike, I miss that 3-mile loop. I thought it was a pale imitation of Central Park when i first moved to DC, but as I'm now on the wrong side of 30, not having to worry that much about your safety has become increasingly important. To boot, i could knock out a workout early in the morning (didn't happen often) or in the evening when there was almost no one else around. Now that i live in the NJ burbs, i can't ride early and can't ride late during the week.