View Single Post
Old 04-26-17, 05:51 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@rholland1951, I noticed a few of those monuments as we rode last Saturday, I had wondered what they signified. Thanks for the bit of history education about them. Its a shame someone defaced some of these unique markers, I will never understand grafitti being necessary.

About last Saturday's ride in the rain with @jimmuller and the others from Boston's surrounding area, it wasn't my best day as far as remembering to bring my correct kit for the weather conditions. As you can see in the group picture, I am in running shoes (at least they are New Balance 990, made in New England,) my watch had stopped during the night and I didn't pay attention to it when we got up Saturday morning.

I was drinking my coffee and gathering things up, casually. My son looked at me and asked what time we were riding, I replied with, 9:30. He got a funny look on his face, then he pointed to the digital clock on their stove, it was already after 8:00 am. I had over an hour's drive from New Hampshire to the Depot, our starting point. I gathered up everything, or so I thought, and scrambled off to pay the various tolls along the way.

When I began dressing things started to become all to surreal, no cycling shoes, no shoe covers for the rain, no long enough wool socks, etc. I lucked out and wore some every day wool socks that worked really quite well, thankfully. No rain jacket, just a 50+ Forum wind jacket, and my flight jacket I wear all the time when its chilly, just not to ride. Never say that I didn't give up and punt the ride. If was just kind of weird feeling to wear my running shoes, and that bulky flight jacket, for a fairly brisk paced ride. Seeing as how those present had done things just because I was up in New England and were being extra nice about putting together a ride day, I was determined not to miss out on this once in a life time experience.

My sincere thanks to all the good folks that rode last Saturday, no matter how long they were able to be with us, it was great to meet up and ride with a few of the BF/C&V people. I owe each and everyone of you a big hug and hand shake next time we all ride. I missed seeing several Boston area members, @rootboy is someone I wanted to meet in person, big time, along with about a dozen others. There will be future visits, be sure of this.

Bill