Old 04-26-17, 03:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Actually, we agree that the person taking the draft is responsible for determining whether the person giving it may be relied upon to cooperate. However, it seems to me that anyone who would ride around dressed as a serious roadie but not be willing to play the game, as it were, is a presumptuous imposter and a derelict.
You're assigning too much meaning to the clothing.

People may wear that stuff for practical reasons, ie the helmet for protection, the shorts and jersey for comfort, and the shoes and gloves simply because they prefer to. That doesn't mean they have any illusions about being part of the road culture you seem to believe exists.

Then there may be a retired racer who dresses that way because he always did, and doesn't have a reason to stop. Or an active racer out training, who simply prefers not to be drafted by unknowns, outside of the sanctioned, licensed race environment. He might even be a cat 3 or 4, who doesn't some cat 5 poseur (as you might describe him) on his ass. Or he might be OK with drafting, but consider that particular stretch or road as unsuited for close riding.

So, kit is a meaningless basis to assume one would or should be OK with you latching onto his rear. The simple rule, based on common courtesy, is to assume nothing at all, and not to draft strangers outside of conditions where it's clearly OK, ie. a race.

of course, you can always pull alongside, introduce yourself and ask if that person wants to alternate drafts with you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-30-17 at 11:16 PM.