Old 04-27-17, 03:02 AM
gbru316

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Actually it does have disc brakes, the better kind. A rim is a disc and the caliper squeezes on it just as would a caliper on the hub mounted disc. The rim brake wheel is lighter and possibly stronger, simpler, easier to maintain, less problems with alignment, easier to R&R wheels and install different wheel sets and is basically superior in every way except for being in fashion.

A rim brake, fashion aside, is not a negative, it is a positive. Let the lemmings ride their cookie cutter hub disc braked Treks off the cliff into the sea.

J
I miss the braking power of the mountain bike I traded - it had hydraulic discs. More often than not, I'm pulling a trailer with a child and small dog, so the braking power was nice to have on hills.

The new bike has an IS bracket for the rear wheel so it's doable if I'd replace the fork and get new wheels, but I'm going to defer that decision until I know if it's something that would really help. I think there's a good possibility that some adjustments to braking technique will be enough.