Thread: vegan cyclists
View Single Post
Old 04-27-17, 07:40 AM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My girlfriend is (mostly) vegan and has been making food for me to eat. I'd say eating vegan with lots of greens and whole vegetables can make a positive difference in feeling of wellbeing and energy on the bike, at least in my experience. Not to mention the weight loss. The problem with meat and dairy is mostly that it causes cancer, it also inflames your body to some extent. As far as macronutrients it's not actually that hard to get sufficient protein although you should take B12 supplements. I used to be skeptical but now I think it's a good idea. At first I was like nah I'm gonna go hungry and be weak and tired but it's really the opposite of that. Honestly I think you can perform just as well eating vegan or eating a clean diet with meat in it, however eating vegan forces you to eat more vitamins and compounds in plants that do positive things for your body, and like I said before not eating meat cuts down your chances of getting cancer by shocking margins. Also FWIW my girlfriend is one of the fastest local female racers even though she hardly trains so if there was a deficiency in a vegan diet it should be obvious, she does eat a lot of beans for protein lol.

Last edited by mazdaspeed; 04-27-17 at 07:49 AM.