Old 04-29-17, 06:31 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TedC
OK - so I had to make up for the .9mi from Thursdays ride - so got back out there today to do it.

@kbarch - Beacon is a good stop - however the shoulder on 9D from the bridge north to Beacon is not so great - especially past Cold Springs - so word of caution there. Wasnt even trying to avoid Baby Bear - just thought it would be fun to get off the main road! Ive not done their rides - and I dread some of those hills from the other side after descending them...
Well done!
Thanks for the note. By the way, I didn't figure you meant to avoid Baby Bear, just that I was interested in where you might have gone off-road. Couldn't tell from the map image, but then I noticed the lesser peak before Bear missing from the elevation profile

Meanwhile, an excellent fine gravel/dirt path detour off the main road to Bear is Nyack Beach from Nyack to Haverstraw. Have you tried that? The park entrance is a couple of miles north of downtown Nyack and it puts you out just south of the helix where you can pick up Bike Route 9 again. Was shown the way last week and now I'm thinking of returning tomorrow.