View Single Post
Old 05-03-17, 09:32 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
For those that don't know, the "bowling alley" is the final steep bit on the Ski-Lift climb. It's posted at 15% but feels steeper. My Garmin gets 17% but it any case, it feels really steep after the preceding 4 miles of 10 - 12%.

Rick / OCRR
Originally Posted by TGT1
An if you've ridden it, it's a "false flat", (real name on the map is Manker Flats)an optical illusion that makes it look like you should be on almost level ground, so it's as psychologically debilitating as it is physical.

I ended up telling a few , "come on! I made it up this last year for my medicare ride"
Yea ... "Manker Flats" is a misnomer. It ain't flat! I try to take it easy there, because I know the bowling alley is next.

BTW: For the benefit of others, the "bowling alley" is the last and steepest part of the climb. At the bottom are widened lanes (for parking) with a large median in between. Above that, a slightly curved steep section that is about 0.1 mile long. Above that is the parking lot for the Mt. Baldy Ski Resort.

So cars coming down from the ski resort are presented with an 0.1 mile long 15%+ grade, with a lot of cars at the bottom (still 12%). Even with chains, that often causes cars to slide down the hill and into the parked cars ... hence the name "bowling alley."

Gotta love gallows humor.