View Single Post
Old 05-03-17, 10:41 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
So did you get the new wheels?
I'm a couple of days into using my new Haul-a-Day now. Haven't moved more pure cargo than light groceries. Heaviest load has been my 8 year old going to school. The two littlest have also been for rides, but not together yet, because I'm wary of attempted murder by one on the other.

So for mine, I basically took delivery of the frame and some of the HaD specific parts. Built my own wheels, and kitted it out with a 10 speed Tiagra drivetrain, on the flat-bar shifters. Front is built on a dynohub, though I haven't purchased the light yet. Bought the Extracycle "magic carpet" for the kids, thought I'm using the HaD "Whoopie deux" so I can stand the bike on end. Currently using the HaD bags, though I think Extracycle ones may be in my future.

A lot of fun. Tighter turn radius than the Dummy I test rode. The upright storage is a HUGE plus, and was the tipping point in buying this model. The kids absolutely love it, and my 8 year old asks now every day if she can ride the HaD to school. It gets lots of notice there too, with other kids asking for rides, and commenting on what a cool bike it is.

The front end sometimes feels light and squirrely/wobbly when starting under load, particularly when over-geared. Helps to anticipate those shifts and be ready for the start after a stop. When pushing hard, or especially when standing to pedal, there is a noticeable wiggle or twist in the back with my 8 year old riding the deck. Don't know how this compares to bikes like the Dummy, since I never rode a Dummy with a load. It's slightly disconcerting at first, but didn't take much adjustment to get used to. I have the heavy duty back end on the bike as well.

So far it's two big thumbs up! Right now it's doing great with its primary purpose of trucking kids around. Haven't gone particularly far with the littlest one (2.5 years old) because I have concerns about him nodding off and falling out. I don't want to get a Yepp (though I may have to) because the Yepp will preclude my oldest from riding easily, and will prevent the bike from being stored on end.

Next task: major grocery haul!