View Single Post
Old 05-04-17, 07:10 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
After riding another 40k the tire blew out again making a hole in the tire boot. Added a piece of inner tube to cover the hole, and inflated the tire to 80 psi. After another 30k it blew out again (3 klm before the finish). Added another piece of inner tube and finished the Brevet.
Interesting that the boot got a hole. Maybe, it moved.

Inner tubes won't really work reliably (that's why you use a boot). No surprise that the tube pieces blew.

After applying the Park tool boot it probably got worn by the tarmac because it was being pushed through the hole on the tread. It lasted about 40k. The next patch was a piece of inner tube that got worn after about 30k in a similar manner. I don't know if another material such as Tyvex or a piece of juice carton would have lasted longer.
That makes sense. The boots aren't meant to be on the road. They are meant to be protected by the tread (which means holes that are too big are a problem).

The Park boot is pretty tough. It will last longer than the other stuff you listed.

On 200k brevets I would probably just carry tire boot materials. On longer Brevet I would carry a spare tire that could be shared if you are doing the ride with a group. As mentioned, how much someone carries is a personal matter.
It seems your problem was fairly unusual. And you managed anyway. Maybe, carry more Park boots.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-04-17 at 07:27 AM.