Old 05-04-17, 01:13 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWil
I'm still waiting on my bike to be delivered. The LBS is expecting it in today or tomorrow, but I won't have a chance to pick it up until Monday, thanks to working 12 hour day shifts all weekend. I talked to the employees some more today, because I realized I needed a few more items as part of my initial purchase. The employees are not worried at all about making the Roam 2 fit me, and told me that for anything larger I'm looking at a much larger purchase price, so I'm really hoping it fits.

I ordered the following:

Roam 2
Kickstand
random cheap bell
Bike Guard Rock n Roll lock
Giant Quick Fix kit
Giant Axact 14W wireless computer
Giant Compel helmet
Serfas Scorpius 100 rear light
Serfas USL-850 headlight

Did I end up covering all the essentials? Or is there anything I'm really missing?
1. You don't need a kickstand. Just heavy and has the potential to loosen and get caught in your spokes.
2. The quick fix kit is fine (though if it were me, I would just buy the items separately and go with a Topeak saddle bag and road morph frame pump, and Pedro's tire levers rather than the Giant pump, levers and bag the LBS sold you, but that is just my preference. The ones they sold you should be fine),. But you still need a spare tube and a floor pump for pumping up your tires at home. (the frame pump is not practical for every day use and is best reserved for on the road emergencies). As for tubes, I usually replace the tube if I get a flat and try to patch the old tube when I get home.
3. Lock is always a good idea, even if you only leave your bike unattended for a few minutes.
4. Lights make sense if you are planning to ride at night.

Some other things to consider. (you don't need this stuff on day one, but they are nice to have)
-Fenders if you ride in the rain.
-Protective eyewear, to protect your eyes from the sun and from bugs, and debris. If you wear prescription lenses, you are covered. If not, some sort of sport sunglasses is a good idea. I wear Tifosi sunglasses that go from almost clear in overcast conditions to dark on sunny days. Before I had Tifosi, I mostly rode in whatever sunglasses they had on sale at my local Walgreens, and without protective eyewear on cloudy days.
-Good shorts will improve your comfort in the saddle.
-Cycling Gloves - they keep your hands from slipping off the bars, provide some cushion and reducing hand fatigue, and if you fall, protect your palms. Go with short fingered gloves in spring and summer, long fingered gloves for trails and for riding in fall.
-Jersey - I put this towards the end of the list. You can get by with a technical T shirt or sweatshirt, but a good jersey and/or base layer wicks moisture away from the body, while also having a front zipper and back pockets to carry keys, phone, pump, food, or tools.
-Some sort of windproof and/or waterproof layer, such as a rain jacket, windbreaker, or windvest.
- Clipless pedals and shoes. Not just for racers anymore. Most people who go clipless never go back.