View Single Post
Old 05-07-17, 10:16 AM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
No, it's mostly campus community culture and not much more. Bicycles, wheels, components are often considered just community property. I recall a upscale fancy island town I used to visit that had the same attitude; bicycles belonged to everyone, leave one unattended and it was gone...maybe you'd find it week later on someone else's lawn.
Are their any references or documentation of the acceptance of this "community culture"? Can anyone actually justify such a thing? It is of course nothing but theft.

Components- I think I will just use this nice Nuevo Record rear derailleur for a while.

Wheels- I will just appropriate this wheel with the Record hubs and Mavic rims.

Bicycle-This Trek will take me to the beach today.

I would love to read of any individual or group advocating this kind of community property. A few years ago, Austin's bicycle co-op, the Yellow Bike Project, spread ugly yellow painted old bikes around town as community property. They eventually had to discontinue this program. The ugly yellow bicycle shaped objects were all stolen.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack