View Single Post
Old 05-08-17, 06:05 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm
I was very surprised to hear my son say that he needs a bike for college. He has never had the slightest interest in bicycles and seemed to hold a certain disdain for them.

Like most of the later millenials, he was carried by car wherever he needed to go. He had a little Giant MTB when he was about 6 and later I got him the 76 Super Course that now belongs to his mother. He rarely rode either. He got a truck to drive when he was 17 and will be taking this to to Texas Tech this fall.

It was after a recent college visit that he let me know of his newfound need for a bike. Tech has one of the biggest campuses in the country and it would be a long walk from his dorm to some classes. So, that has got me thinking...

I would like to find something for him that would do the job and perhaps help him to enjoy and appreciate a bicycle. I was thinking a nice lightweight frame and wheelset, but perhaps not so nicely finished so that it would be a magnet for theft. Now Lubbock is pretty much billiard table flat so that even a single speed or internal gear hub might work. A rack on the rear to bungee a backpack and a good lock would complete it. The dorm rooms are small and he may need to park this outside.

He is about 5'10" and about 225, an offensive lineman in high school and is very strong. He is open on what we get, saying that he just wants to see a picture before I buy it. I have until mid August to get something together.

I would love to hear your ideas and see some examples of how the college students are getting to class these days on C&V bikes.
I don't have any advice, but......I will be in Lubbock that weekend for a wedding. Native Texan with lots of relatives spread throughout West Texas. The groom, my nephew, is one of the debate coaches at TT.