Old 05-08-17, 09:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
The frame had to crack at some point, right? It's not impossible that it cracked during the ride. I don't remember, but I think that was a 400k and there were definitely some bumpy roads along the way.
frames just don't crack that fast. They take at least a few rides to get from the point where you can see it to the point where there is a noticeable difference in the way the bike rides. A few bumps isn't going to cause a crack that is going to end that ride, even a 250 mile ride.

I have a bad habit of looking at Waterford fastback seatstays because I once fixed a cracked one. Turns out about half of them I have looked at have been cracked. I looked at a guy's bike before PBP, saw that it was cracked, and decided not to tell him. Now, some people say that was irresponsible of me, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to break all the way. And if I wasn't there, he was going to ride his cracked bike on PBP anyway. He finished. I feel like I would have ruined his PBP if I told him his bike was cracked the day before the ride.