Old 05-15-17, 02:46 PM
rico_mack

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Arenburg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
This sounds like someone did something wrong to that headtube. All the Lightspeed frames I've seen have the aluminum sleeves pressed in and take standard headsets.

Got any pictures? Part of your description makes it sound like the whole sleeve is missing, the other part makes it sound like someone just WAY over reamed the headtube.

Edit: I believe the original reason for the headtube and seatube inserts was to just make final frame prep less of a pain. Cutting Ti destroys cutting tools, aluminum is just easier to deal with.
Thanks for your response. Sorry if my original post wasn't clear. I am 99% sure the sleeve is missing. I'm assuming the sleeve came out with a headset change. Guess only.

The person who sold me the frame said LS told him to use 12 mm inset headset and everything would be fine. When I talked to LS they said as standand 1 1/8 threadless headset would work. But without the sleeve it doesn't. I put in another query to LS to find out if it was possible to to buy a sleeve from them and if not could I get a copy of the sleeve drawing. I was told probably not, but contact the warranty/service dept. Oh sigh. Needless to say the bike is 16 years old and way out of warranty but maybe they can help with a drawing.

It is interesting that you say all LS you have seen had the sleeve. I thought it was only the Arenburg.

Thanks again.