Old 05-15-17, 06:06 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
It's not rocket science. Listen to the people who have blown up engines like yours, take it slow, and you'll be fine. Modern cars have knock sensors that do a good job of saving you from a bad tune, but you can still break rods and pistons if you mess up.

For an example of listening to people who have been there, my car needs an upgraded high pressure cam fuel pump before you add much power at all, or it will run lean and go boom. I found that out reading the forum. Other people found out by venting their block.

I used Cobb access port, but go with whatever is supported most for your car.
For now I'm just buying a pre-tuned chip. Cobb looks right priced.

This will be my 3rd "chip". 2nd on a Diesel. They work by knocking. Lean does not apply. The engines are different. I blew up my first car at 180K gas, twin turbo unrelated to tuning.
My E320 Diesel in still great at 206K, I tuned it at 55K and a few more times as dealer kept re-flashing it.

This "new" car is the curb weight of a Sprinter with a similar engine, and the other chip is for a Sprinter.

I don't always cruise empty highways in Utah, Wyoming, and Montana, but when I do I want it to be in a tuned diesel.