View Single Post
Old 05-16-17, 09:39 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

"..... As the Austin Police Department’s first and only officer dedicated to bicycle safety, Cunningham’s ultimate objective is to make the roads safer for all users, not just bicyclists.

“I’m a cyclist on my own, so I get to combine my passion for bikes with my job to help make the roads safer for everybody,” says Cunningham, who started her new position three months ago. “With our goals for Vision Zero, this is one component to make the roads safer and they assigned me to it as a full time position.”

A new initiative Cunningham helped launch is the city-wide “Safe Passing” operation. The operation uses two bicycles that are outfitted with a tool that measures the distance between a vehicle and a bicyclist. The bikes also have a mounted readout display that shows the measured distance so officers who are conducting the sting can immediately determine if a violation is occurring...."

Article, here : Make sure you give bicyclists space, APD is watching | KXAN.com

Somewhat related article from Chattanooga, here : https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...from-cyclists/

Also, other ideas are to advertise the 3 and/or 6 feet passing laws on public transportation including city buses. Your city should be able to cut a deal with the entity providing public transportation.
In Austin, they ran several stories on the 3 feet passing ordinance and subsequent enforcement pieces in local media.
Also, check out the video of our previous Police Chief, Art Acevedo in the first linked article.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-16-17 at 09:43 PM.