Old 05-17-17, 09:05 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 305 Posts
I wrote earlier in this thread that my interest mainly is within the 60ies to late 80ies high end racing bikes. I am in that generation. I do however find myself more and more drifting into the 90ies. I have tried to analyze why this has happened. I guess my original thought was that they were good users as in saving my more vintage bikes from rain and mud – but still being built in steel. I have no interest in alu or carbon frames. I like things that can last forever if being maintained properly.

Over time I have found myself more and more often actually seeking them up – these 90ies steel frames. The last hooray of steel in the pro peloton. And not looking for the older stuff any longer (I do have a sh-t load of them already – and that might also be a reason).

I have noticed that the competition for these 90ies bikes has become fiercer. In the beginning of my “drift” I could get a Merckx MXL for peanuts and MAX bikes of other makes were not very expensive either.

Today when I search the net for these the picture is different. Prices are going up rapidly. But I am still there looking and occasionally buying. Does this mean I will not use them in bad weather – because they are suddenly becoming collector material? I have not reached that point yet and I hope I never will.