Old 05-17-17, 10:15 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
I wrote earlier in this thread that my interest mainly is within the 60ies to late 80ies high end racing bikes. I am in that generation. I do however find myself more and more drifting into the 90ies. I have tried to analyze why this has happened. I guess my original thought was that they were good users as in saving my more vintage bikes from rain and mud – but still being built in steel. I have no interest in alu or carbon frames. I like things that can last forever if being maintained properly.

Over time I have found myself more and more often actually seeking them up – these 90ies steel frames. The last hooray of steel in the pro peloton. And not looking for the older stuff any longer (I do have a sh-t load of them already – and that might also be a reason).

I have noticed that the competition for these 90ies bikes has become fiercer. In the beginning of my “drift” I could get a Merckx MXL for peanuts and MAX bikes of other makes were not very expensive either.

Today when I search the net for these the picture is different. Prices are going up rapidly. But I am still there looking and occasionally buying. Does this mean I will not use them in bad weather – because they are suddenly becoming collector material? I have not reached that point yet and I hope I never will.

This is a great make sense post and nice bikes. Popular bikes like Merckx and Colnago are hot items. Modern enough to ride with fast groups, reasonable enough price compared to new, steel and from the last century. The 90's will have their place. I have no idea on the carbon age.