View Single Post
Old 05-20-17, 08:57 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Today I tested my limits. I have been cycling on a seasonal basis for several years, and it has been a while since I've ridden more than 60 miles or so at a time. I've been back in the saddle for less than a month at this point, and decided today to see what I could do.

I chose the fixed gear Centurion "club racer" that was completed about three weeks ago, which I had not taken out for more than 15 miles at a time thus far. I rolled out at 11am and headed into Dinuba. I stopped for coffee and a pastry, then wended my way southeast towards the foothills and was in Exeter just after 2pm. I had a latte at the Wildflower Cafe and lobster ravioli at Monet's Bistro (they'll be catering my wedding), and walked around and took some photos of the bicycle in front of my favorite murals. Exeter is rather famous as being classy and lively, especially for being in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley and with a population of only 10,000. Roughly twenty beautiful murals grace various downtown walls.

After that, I went six miles further south and ended up at the outskirts of Lindsay. From there, I went west straight into Tulare, then turned north back towards Visalia, which I hopped and skipped around until heading home on highway 63 towards Orosi before turning west. I had stopped multiple times for water and to make adjustments on the bicycle, and was home just before 7pm.

Total distance - 80 miles, or 128km. I'm beat! The lauterwasser bars are absolutely not comfortable for such distances, with very limited hand positions and a far from forgiving surface. My hands are still uncomfortably numb (ha) after being home for an hour. I had a headwind most of the way home, but reckon I somehow managed to maintain an average 15-16 mph during the course of the day's ride, using the 52-17 fixed gearing. I'd be more proud if I did not feel so stupid for pushing myself as I did, but I'm alright. Home and relaxed now. Cheers!

-Gregory