View Single Post
Old 12-23-05, 03:38 PM
GlowBoy
GN BIKN

Bikes: 1990ish MTB converted to 'cross, custom Vulture 29"er, Swift 2-speed Automatix folder, Madsen cargo bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I am not sure what portion of Sepulveda Blvd you ride, but if the lane is too narrow to safely share, then you need to continue to take the lane. After all, the drivers have the fast lane for use in passing you. Sounds like your getting some of the Los Angeles car culture attitude from the drivers. There are areas in the country with even ruder drivers, so hang in there.

You should not be afraid to use Sepulveda Blvd nor should you fell you have to use it if a parallel road allows a more enjoyable ride for you.
Agreed! If it's too narrow, take the lane, especially since there are two lanes. But it sounds like you may need to find an alternate route.

You say you're getting an average 5 honks southbound, and yet it's the northbound direction that's "crazy and scary"? Yikes, I go for days at a time without being honked at once. If it's really going that badly, I'd say you are in danger and eventually will get hit. I'd either find a bike buddy and see if you're doing something wrong, or find another route. From what I remember of Sepulveda (my friend used to live a few blocks away) there are alternate streets nearby, and in fact Google Maps shows a lots of nearby streets that run parallel to Sepulveda -- not for its entire length, but you may be able to string them together if you can get the crossings of the busier streets to work out OK.