jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by emuss
Hi everyone! I just purchased this little guy from an antique store in Edmonton Alberta Canada.
I don't know much about bikes, but got this as a restoration project to keep me busy this summer.
through my searches for info, Ive found that its kind of a pain to find out what year a Peugeot was made.
If I can figure this out, it should give me some leads on part numbers and where to get. the derailure? has "71" punched into it...

That model is called a AO-8, like a UO-8 but without the half-chromed forks. The front wheel appears to be a replacement, since the original would have had a high-flanged Normandy hub. It's possible that the rear wheel may have a date-code on it, sometimes stamped on the hub "11 74", etc, or may be found on the rim if it's a Rigida Chrolux, often inside of a diamond symbol.

The down-tube graphics with the slanted ends usually indicates a slightly later year than '71 or '72, so possible it's in the '74-'76 range. The RD may be a replacement if it has a '71 date code. But, with Peugeots, anything's possible. The serial number won't help.

As for replacement parts, they'll interchange on just about any model from '69 to '78, maybe later, so you won't need to be year-specific. They're great-riding bikes, you'll enjoy it.