Old 05-27-17, 03:12 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
You don't need "nutrition" during a ride, you just need fuel. Simple sugars are gasoline, longer chain starches, diesel fuel.
The "nutrition" should come after the ride.

Jams and jellies are essentially fruit flavored simple sugars. The bread, longer chain carbs and plenty of sodium. The PB protein and fat is doing you no good during the ride. It's just there for caulking and flavor.

By "nutritionally" I meant the breakdown for a bike ride - as you have explained. Thank you.
But someone mentioned nut butter. Are you saying that this does no good as well? ( I really don't know if nut butter is much different than peanut butter...but I assume they can't be that different).

And not to hijack this thread (it is an interesting topic - and it will keep the OP's thread on the first page ) -
For a 50 mile - fairly intense ride (but not really racing), really all that is "needed" for fuel (to avoid bonking and get to the end with a little spunk) would be some jam/jelly and bread...or to make it generic - some simple sugars and maybe some longer chain carbs with some salt (and water, of course). Does that seem about right?
On such a ride, I really don't feel like I have to eat...but I certainly want to keep my energy level up. We typically stop at some point for a snack anyway, so I want to eat as little as possible. But I also want to have energy to finish strong. Thanks for your replies.