View Single Post
Old 12-24-05, 12:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,409 Times in 2,064 Posts
It seems like many of the posters don't have kids in the real world or live on a budget. My kids all started on Xmart bikes bought both new and used. I've never had any real problems with them and they have been abused. OK, I had to weld the front axle mounting tab back on a fork, but that bike was backed over once. I'm sorry but I wasn't going to buy $200 16" or 20" bikes to have them stolen when they're at the creek (or ridden through the creek), left in the rain, run over in the driveway and these things have all happened to one bike or another. Yes it helps I know my way around a bike, own tools and know how to use them, but really do little in the way of maintence on these bikes besides lubing chains, repairing and filling tires, and adjusting heights as growth occurs. Our current fleet has a 16" Magna that's on about it's 4th or 5th kid, a pacific 20" 5 speed, and a couple of Murray "doom" 20" five speeds at the cabin. My two teens now have a Raleigh MTB and a Trek 7100 bought at the LBS. They also abuse them much less and take better care of them.