View Single Post
Old 12-24-05, 12:36 AM
ElanaB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking for new bike advice

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new bike at my LBS, a Trek/Lemond/Giant dealer. I'm going to be using this bike for long distance touring (with a sag wagon, so I'm not carrying any gear) as well as for regular riding. I tested a Trek 5,000, whose fit I was not impressed with, and then rode a Lemond Versailles (men's version), which fit me a lot better. I want to spend under $2,000.

A few questions:

*Would anyone recommend riding just carbon over a mix of carbon and steel? I toured a lot last summer and experienced quite a bit of back pain, but then again I was riding an aluminum bike.
*I am thinking about upgrading to the Buenos Aires, because it has more ultegra components than the Versailles. It doesn't, however, have a women's model. I am 5'8" tall female...do any of the taller women out there really prefer the geometry of the Lemond women's models over the men's?
*I have heard some good things about the Specialized Roubaix Elite. Upon a bit of investigation, its components seem a step down from the Buenos Aires, but it's a carbon bike. Would anyone recommend this over the 2 Lemond models?

Thanks so much! Elana