Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015
So I have an update for anyone that cares. We ending up riding 70 miles total (one of the people I was riding with got sick and couldn't keep going) at an avg. of 15.6 mph. This ride was a great thing for me because it tought me a few things about myself and my "current" ability.

I could do 100 (painfully) if I had to but my legs aren't ready. At about 60 miles my butt, taint and back started hurting (just general discomfort) from being in the saddle too long. While my legs didn't cramp, they were very sore and tired (muscle fatigue) when I got to about the 60 mile mark. I took and ate 4 gels, 2 protein bars and trail mix. Not to mention all the water I drank. Didn't seem to be hungry or cramp at all so that's a good thing.

Jumping from 40-50 to 70, was like when I jumped from 10 to 30. It was a huge stride and took some serious getting used to. I will continue to do 60-70 mile rides to get my body used to it before attempting a 100 miler. I will also toy around with my food while doing so.

The original use of this thread was to learn about nutrition and I got some great pointers from serveral of you. I think I should have brought more to eat and will probably shoot for around 200 calories an hour next time. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Yes ... and excellent.

That is the general recommendation. Get up to 50 miles, do that a few times. Make 60 miles your next goal. Do that 2 or 3 times. Make 75 miles your next goal. Do that a couple times. And then you might consider a 100 miler.

You might also want to sort out some fit issues.