View Single Post
Old 06-01-17, 08:43 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
This one was the last PX-10 I had, and the earliest one I actually built up -

[IMG][/IMG]

- my apologies for the photo quality, this was taken on a ride with the infamous $9 Aiptek pencam. I was given this as a frameset at the 2006 Cirque. It had a decal headbadge - but with rivets.

[IMG][/IMG]

The internal construction, especially inside the bottom bracket, was noticeably better mitered than the later ones were. I have described it as a 1970 because of the headbadge rivets combined with the decal scheme and holes for a serial number plate, but that's a guess. There were no parts to decipher date codes from, alas.

For even worse photo quality (35mm in poor light, then copy the prints with an iPhone!), we now turn to my '73 PX-10E that I bought for $150 at the first Cirque du Cyclisme in '98, the year it was held in the parking lot of Cycles de Oro -

[IMG][/IMG]

- and while it's still not stock or totally correct, it is much closer than it was when I got it. This one has the same frame angles as the one randyjawa has a thread going on, much steeper head and seat tube angles, noticeably reduced fork rake. It also has the funky serial number stamped crookedly directly into the BB shell, rather than the riveted plate normally seen during these years.

[IMG][/IMG]

And finally, one more badly photographed Peugeot - a 1974 PX-10LE with the same geometry but white Nervex DuBois lugs outlined with gold. Wish I'd kept the saddle on this one - I sold this bike to the late Jeff Archer of First Flight Bikes, and the last time I saw it, it was in his upstairs museum.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rustystrings61; 06-01-17 at 08:51 AM.