Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlosP
I live in Miami, I ride in Ft Lauderdale on Saturdays (Ride north on Saturdays, South Sundays, Key Biscayne during the week). There are plenty of groups in South Florida. One thing I have noticed compared to other cities, is we ride fast. A part of that is because land is flat, our only climbing is on bridges (which we hammer up it, since they are short). Broward county has way more bike lanes than Miami Dade county. Also, we tend to ride earlier compared to other cities because we have heavy traffic (i leave my house at 5:30am) so make sure you have lights. There are levees if you ride gravel and various mountain bike trails. Bay area cycling is awesome, love riding through wineries in Napa/Sonoma.
Anyway, there are plenty of large groups here, Don Pan (hammer group out of Miami, can average 30 mph for most of the ride) easily gets 100 plus riders. Mike's ride (I think that is what its called) rides up a1a at 25+ mph. Lots of good rides, and not all are super fast of course. But, we don't have big shoulders, not enough bike lanes, and terrible drivers. Also, there are a couple evening rides in Broward county, there is the Dump Ride and the Big Wheel ride.
Welcome to S. FLA.
This. Grew up in Miami. Don Pan was my first group ride experience and it was terrifying for a beginner. They sprinted for the line just past Crandon in both traffic lanes and most people moved out without even looking behind, cars had to slam on brakes. It was scary.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail these days.