Old 12-24-05, 05:59 PM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
If I can't find horizontal drops, is it still worth it to work around verticals on an otherwise good frame? Check the ebay thread, I saw a 2001 Bianchi Veloche 63cm that looks pretty sweet for about $100 original bid. If I'm lucky, say I get it for $150.

The ENO eccentric hub on Sheldon's site would work with it, and it's about $160. Looks about $100 more than your typical fixed hub. With all the noise about how 'hip' singlespeeds are, I'm wondering if it's getting that much harder to find a good horizontal drop-out frame for cheap, and the cost will balance out.

I mean, hell, most bike shops I've been to don't even carry 62cm bikes new. Many companies don't even make 'em that big.
People here have had good things to say about the ENO. It should work just fine.

It sounds like you're willing to drop a decent amount of money on the project. IRO makes 62cm frames with track dropouts, and you can get a basic Mark V model for $550. If you went with the Bianchi...

$160 for rear wheel
$150 for frame
+front wheel
+cranks
+chainring
+chain
+cog
+lockring
+pedals
+seatpost
+saddle
+tires
+stem
+bars
+tape
+brake?
+?

It'll probably be cheaper to buy a complete IRO / Pista / Langster / Rush Hour / etc. Lots of options these days.