chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ElanaB
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new bike at my LBS, a Trek/Lemond/Giant dealer. I'm going to be using this bike for long distance touring (with a sag wagon, so I'm not carrying any gear) as well as for regular riding. I tested a Trek 5,000, whose fit I was not impressed with, and then rode a Lemond Versailles (men's version), which fit me a lot better. I want to spend under $2,000.

A few questions:

*Would anyone recommend riding just carbon over a mix of carbon and steel? I toured a lot last summer and experienced quite a bit of back pain, but then again I was riding an aluminum bike.
*I am thinking about upgrading to the Buenos Aires, because it has more ultegra components than the Versailles. It doesn't, however, have a women's model. I am 5'8" tall female...do any of the taller women out there really prefer the geometry of the Lemond women's models over the men's?
*I have heard some good things about the Specialized Roubaix Elite. Upon a bit of investigation, its components seem a step down from the Buenos Aires, but it's a carbon bike. Would anyone recommend this over the 2 Lemond models?

Thanks so much! Elana
I don't think you necessarily need a 'womans' bike - my gf is quite happy with the standard geometry of her bike, but of course your mileage may vary - I would test ride any bike before buying and make sure it feels right for you. If you are having back pain, I think the fit of the bike is more the culprit than the frame material. For your back pain, you might consider a more upright riding position. I think you'd like the ride quality of steel/carbon better than all carbon and will be happy with either Lemond.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey