View Single Post
Old 06-06-17, 08:28 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
Water, water, water. Start drinking hours before your ride and drink constantly during the ride. If you wait until you're thirsty it's too late and you'll have a hard time catching up. If you notice that you stopped sweating, it's too late. The body is like a leaky radiator, as long as you keep putting water in it it stays cool.

Oh, that "dry heat" I've heard mentioned, that's a misnomer. I lived in the southern states for 30 years and know what 100 degrees and 98% humidity is like. I moved to Arizona and experienced 117 degrees ambient and 132 degrees 2 feet off the pavement. I can tell you matter-of-fact, 117 is freakin' hot man. Moved back to the Southern states last year and dang, a "hot and humid" day here ain't so bad after all.

In Arizona, when it was summer, I'd go through two jumbo water bottles on a 20 mile ride and arrive back at home drained and out of gas and water.