View Single Post
Old 12-25-05, 01:03 AM
foggydew
Life is simply timing...

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v1nce
This may be useless to you since you are looking into other bikes but i would reccomend:

1.Chromoly/Steel all the way!
2. A Bike Friday! For that money you can have an amazing (custom fitted/made!) bike that will bike as well as any of those other bikes you mention plus it can be taken on multi mode transport. BF's are serious bikes just check their site and the huge tours some people have done of them.
3. If you are set on full size, a Surly Long Haul Trucker, super versatile, comfortable and affordable.
4. Brooks Saddle, your back and but will love you.

Good luck!
I have to take exception to this "cromoly/steel" bias which seems to permeate this touring forum. I've had a Cannondale aluminum frame for over 10 years/50000 km without any problems at all. At the same time, I have yet to see anyone come forward and say that their aluminum frame caused them grief, either domestically or overseas. If there are "horror stories" about aluminum, then I would like to read about them, but at the same time I would like to hear about the Cromoly/Steel "horror" stories as well. Just searching for the truth.

Merry Christmas to all and may your cycling in 2006 be everything that you have dreamed for...