Old 06-07-17, 04:54 PM
Semipedersen

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Isn't that what any shop/store is about? An auto parts store stocks car parts expecting someone to need them.

I wouldn't necessarily want to stock 1000 spoke types and sizes, but one could cover 90% of the emergency requirements by stocking a few dozen straight gauge spokes, J-Bend and straight-Pull. If someone is desperate, a straight gauge spoke can replace any butted or bladed spoke with the exception of some of the new proprietary spokes.

My Crystal Ball says that if you have a flat tire, you'll probably need one of the following tubes:
12" Kid's bike
16" BMX
20" BMX
24" BMX
(24" road?)
26" BMX
26"x1 3/8
650b

650c
700c x 20-25
700c x 25-35
700c - 29"
27" (often use 700c tubes).
If none of those fit... patch kit?

Half dozen brake pads?

Couple of derailleurs?

How many bikes in town of 3000? Maybe at least 300? I think the town I broke down had a grade school and middle school, and maybe high school. So, they probably had school kids coming in from surrounding communities.

Anyway, probably not enough local customers to support a full-time business, but perhaps enough to support a corner in another store, or a vending machine.

Heck, convincing vendors that I had a "brick and mortar store" might be worth quite a bit
I think the idea is interesting but one thing to consider is how many people cannot even do a simple bike repair.