Old 12-25-05, 03:06 AM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Statesville, a town of 20,000 in the gently rolling hills of the NC Piedmont. We're about 45 miles north of Charlotte (2+ million people), and about 45 miles west of Winston-Salem (250K).

It's a mixed bag for car-free (I'm car lite).

I live downtown, and everything I need day to day is within a 5 mile radius. Most streets are wide. Most speed limits are 35 mph or less. Traffic is mostly light. The hills are more fun than difficult. We have two good LBSs. Hot summers, cool winters, wonderful autumn and spring. Precip on average every third day (including short-lived summer t-storms). We have many county roads good for road cycling; there's a good MTB trail 12 miles away. We're building a 26-mile unpaved MUP. This is a "Tree City USA" and we've been an "All America City."

On the downside, cycling is unusual here. Other cyclists are about 50% kids, 30% invisibles and 10% fair-weather recreationalists. Ignorant motorist behavior is common, most of it well-intentioned (e.g., they won't pass, or they yield when they shouldn't), but some of it not (honking, buzzing, yelling). Intracity public transportation is limited to a van service requiring 24 hours notice (and allowing only 1 bag of groceries!). There is no intercity mass transit -- not even Greyhound. There are no proper bike racks.

Currently I'm looking for permanent employment, and I'll probably have to leave here, which I wish weren't the case. I was born here, and this town fits me like a comfy old sweater.

Last edited by budster; 12-25-05 at 03:19 AM.