View Single Post
Old 12-25-05, 09:40 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I personally think of the 520 as one of the few bikes off the shelf today that even remotely emulate classic steel touring bikes or the 'french standard' bike,

sure, it may be heavier, but it's not a mountain bike! 520's are perfectly suited for unloaded riding in my experience, and the ride is sublime.

I can't think of any benefit from a sporty, stiff, race-biased frame and components to an all-day, multi day rider, versus a bike built for and with the geometry for long days in the saddle.

I guess my suggestion of the 520 is a recc for one of the best all purpose bikes available at the OP's choice of shop, that would also serve the needs on a SAG tour just fine.... buying a bike built of expensonium usually limits your riding, but a 520 can be ridden just about anywhere or anyhow.... a 520's gearing range is a fast 52-11 to a 30-32 granny right off the shelf.

Oh, there's a new, $1100 to $1700 bike from Specialized, the Tricross.

Carbon, expensonium, more racebox gearing than than a "touring" bike...maybe worth a look?

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-25-05 at 01:05 PM.