on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Carbonfiberboy

The recipe is included below. As far as the final consistency, it's really what you are looking for, and a product of how much water and additives (mostly flavoring) that you use. Personally, I think it makes sense to have the fluid be as concentrated as possible for the type of use and the prevailing conditions. For riding in warmer temps I make it thicker, and for colder temps I make it a bit thinner so it remains fluid enough for practical dispensing in near or sub freezing conditions. I have a few reusable gel flasks.

A couple of notes.. you will be surprised at how much powdered product (maltodextrin and to a lesser extent, fructose) will dissolve in a small amount of water. I mix and stir over heat in a make shift double boiler. You won't get a sense of the consistency/thickness until it returns to room temperature. My favorite flavorings are fresh lemon juice and fresh lime juice, and sometimes I use pure vanilla extract for a change of pace. Remember, the juice will add moisture so adjust the powder to get what you want. Experiment and adjust ingredients as you learn. You might not get exactly what you want the first few times but you will not fail. You will end up with something useable. I no longer follow the specifics of the processing. I'm pretty faithful to the ingredient ratios, more or less, and I usually double the recipe ingredients to make a larger batch. I don't bother with pectin, doesn't seem necessary to me. And oh, don't forget the vodka (yes).

1⁄2 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Maltodextrin
2 Tablespoons Fructose
1⁄4 teaspoon Salt
1⁄2 teaspoon Pectin
1⁄4 Cup Water
1⁄2 teaspoon Vodka or Gin
1⁄4 teaspoon Lemon Juice or other flavoring

Combine Maltodextrin, Fructose, Salt and Pectin in a bowl. Stir well with a fork to eliminate any lumps. Put water in a small saucepan. Heat water until it steams but do not let it boil; reduce heat to simmer once it steams. Add about 1/3 of the dry contents to the water; stir with fork until all lumps disappear. Add vodka/gin and flavoring. Add an- other 1/3 of the dry mix, stirring until all lumps disappear. Add the remainder of the dry mix, stirring to dissolve all lumps. When dissolved, remove from heat, pour into a coffee mug and refrigerate overnight. When cooled, the mate- rial should have the consistency of cool molasses. Transfer to final container.