Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Anitza
Hello all!

I regularly commute 28km round trip to work on a mid-grade hybrid bike, and although I'm reasonably fit, most people seem to smoke past me on the bike trails. But I'm getting mixed signals on what I can really do about this.

Option A: upgrade to a nicer road bike. But given the cost, I only want to do it if it would *really* make a difference. (Current hybrid is a generic "Genesis" bike). Plus, I have some bumpy roads to navigate, needs paniers, etc.

Option B: Get real bike shoes and clipless peddles (Yes I bike in sandals, please don't judge ). Would this be the best bang for the buck?

Option C: Something I'm not thinking of.

I'm new here, so I hope this is not too much of a repeat question.

Many thanks! If I can shave even 5-10 minutes off my commute this would matter a lot.
Option D: Think if there is good reason why you give a dang if other cyclists "smoke" you while commuting. Are you in a race or that big a hurry to get to/from work?

If no rational reason comes to mind, forget about all the biased mixed signals emanating from the hypesters on the blogosphere or at the LBS and enjoy your ride. It is already "real".