View Single Post
Old 06-10-17, 04:50 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Master's Nationals prep

Having been on a track only once this year, I figured I better get a session in before Master's Nationals. Having taken a tumble last week in Georgia, it was also important to be comfortable on the bike and get back into the game.

One of the unresolved questions was my gearing: during the warm up I geared up to a 51 x 16 and it felt too heavy. I decided to go down to a 50 x 16 and it felt much better -- but I'm still undecided for the scratch race since the difference in gain ratios is pretty big.

Started with a a flying 200m for ****s and giggles -- rode it in a 12.6, which I was pretty pleased with considering my gearing and the fact that I've been pretty much a masher. It's only speculation, but a low 12 or high 11 would be in the realm of possibility if I were running proper gearing.

Match sprint, first ride
Drew the first position and just decided to roll it out fairly quickly. Jumped from mid track with 250m to go led into the back straight, and promptly threw my chain.

Match sprint, reride
My oppponent decided to jump me at 250 to go, but he went over the top so I limited the gap to 2 bike lengths.Smashed the pedals through corners 3 and took a run at him and pulled ahead for the win.

25 lap Reverse Snowball (race from hell)
The reverse snowball is everything I hate in an endurance race -- personality wise I like to start off slow, observe, and see what happens-- especially since I had just ridden my match sprint heat. Someone took the 1st lap, and then a visiting rider from St. Louis counterattacked and took the next 3 laps. This forced my hand so I bridged and counterattacked, taking the next 6 or 7 laps. It was enough to win the race, but it was pretty costly.

coughed for 10 minutes, puked on the infield. scratched from any further match sprints.

40 lap points race.
Decided to mark everything and play the sprint card. Won every contested sprint, some by 50m or so.

Won the overall omnium, but the big question mark is how quick my opponents will be at Nationals. It's hard to believe I'm going to win all the sprints by 10+ bike lengths, and I have to figure out how much I can let up to save my strength for later in the race. My gut feeling is that medaling is probable, but other than that, too many unknowns.

50x16 seems a perfect gear for the points race, but I'll probably gear up to a 51 for the scratch -- it's to tempting to have a ripping top end when you're faced with a field of 1:10-11 kilo riders.

It's always amazing watching our older match sprinters: Bernard, Anton, Kirk etc riding 200's in the 11's and mixing it up, and usually winning.

Now I just have to cobble together a team pursuit and madison partner.