View Single Post
Old 06-12-17, 11:03 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
If I had a carbon frame I'd think it was the best thing since sliced bread. Undeniable advantages. I've never felt any urgency to buy one, but there's nothing wrong with it.
I like this statement.

I have aluminum, steel and carbon. My carbon is my favorite, not necessarily because of the material, but because it's the most comfortable and lightest. I like light bikes, both to ride and to lift for storage, transportation, etc. Not because they make me "faster"; they don't.

But I love the other two also for other reasons. The aluminum because it's design allows nice fat tires, fenders, rear rack, etc. should I want to use them (the tires especially). The steel because it looks very cool (old school Italian w/ shiny parts). Both fit and ride just fine, but for some reason the CF bike just feels better in spite of close to identical fit. I hope I never crash any of my bikes and therefore hope to never test the material in that way.

Before I get so old as to need a recumbent trike, I hope to buy a couple more bikes: a totally period correct 70s bike of a high end brand and color I lusted after during those years (or close enough to period correct so I can restore it without making a lifetime project out of it), a titanium bike, and another vintage-ish steel frame to put the parts I have on hand on. A titanium frame could substitute for this last one, and kill two birds with one stone.

I don't feel a need to ever buy another CF bike. Not because I don't like them (looove them, think it's a great material), but because I'm just so satisfied with what I have.

Originally Posted by PepeM
It's great I'm telling you. The best.
Making bikes great again!

Last edited by Camilo; 06-12-17 at 11:31 AM.