View Single Post
Old 06-12-17, 11:13 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Yes, that's my whole point. Good LUCK keeping your HR at 160 while climbing a moderate MTB trail. I'd say that the very large majority of us couldn't do it while staying on our bike.

On a road bike... on the other hand, it would not be hard to keep your HR at 160. Trying too hard? Simply slow down!
It all depends on the trail. If you're doing technical trails then yes, it's hard going. There's always non-technical fire roads and other paths. Taking a full suspension bike down a gravel rail trail is taking it easy on a mountain bike.

Depending on my route choice, I can have a flat dirt walking path, flat paved trail, steep fireroads (non-technical), technical climbs or paved roads up the mountains.
I routinely take segments of fire road descents sitting back with one hand on the bars. On the other end is twisting mountain descents.

Where you ride determines how you ride. If I want an easy day, I don't grab the mountain bike and head up a technical trail. I grab the mountain bike and head out on the gravel walking paths.