Old 12-25-05, 05:07 PM
nausea95
Austin, TX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobs
DO NOT drill a hole. Let it be, the metal in there won't cause any damage. It's most likely just bits of brass or silver that fell in during brazing, although that's a pretty sloppy mistake for a company with that kind of reputation.

As far as wheelsets go, IRO has very reasonable prices for Velocity builds, which are on general pretty damn good.
That's true, I wasn't worried about any damage per say, just an annoying noise when it's picked up or goes over a curb. I'm guessing that a framebuilder wouldn't have any other easy fix for something like this since they'd screw it up with any drilling too.

Originally Posted by tbk
The things rattling in your top tube are either metal, or material from when the frame was blasted prior to it being painted. There should be a breather hole at either end of the top tube at its intersection with seat tube and head tube, get some spray lube or similar and spray this into the frame, as it drains it should carry the pieces of foreign matter with it. If this doesn't work use a something like like an aerosol grease, instead of running away the bits will get stuck! Both of these have the added benifit of protecting against corrosion too!
There are no breather holes, one of the ideas I had was to drill a hole small enough to insert some sort of grease so everything would stick to it, it'd be even nicer if they were such holes already there. If some frames have breather holes by design, wouldn't it be something the right shop with the right tools could do safely without jeopardizing the frame integrity?

I agree also that Bob Jackson's seem to have a reputation so this was disappointing. I thought maybe it was a bad job when brazing and years and years of riding had knocked pieces loose.